The Association of Netherlands Municipalities
The Association of Netherlands Municipalities (Vereniging van Nederlandse Gemeenten, VNG) was established in 1912. Since 1950 all Dutch municipalities are members. Other members are the countries Aruba and Curacao and the public bodies Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba (since 1995).
Who are we?
The VNG represents all municipalities. Together we support and promote the strength and quality of local administrations. The VNG facilitates municipalities with the exchange of knowledge and experience regarding the implementation of national and local policies. We also lobby on behalf of the municipalities in numerous platforms.
Our core tasks are:
- Platform for municipalities
- Development of products and services
How are we organized?
- Highest decision-making body
- Strategic decisions
- Sets the membership dues
- Weighted voting ratio
President of the VNG: Jan van Zanen
- Committee chairs are board members
- The number of members of the board depends on the number of committee chairs
- The board meets 11 times a year and is composed of Mayors, Aldermen, councillors, clerks and city managers
- The board adopts yearly agenda, multi-annual plans and the budget, among other tasks and responsibilities
- 9 Committees and 2 colleges (College voor Arbeidszaken en College van Dienstverleningszaken), organised by policy area
- Composition by Mayors, Aldermen, councillors, clerks, municipal managers
- Knowledge, network and experience are important selection criteria
- 'Mini VNGs' and the eyes and ears of the VNG in the provinces
- They have their own General Assembly, board and committees
- All municipalities are members of their provincial department
Board of Directors
Leonard Geluk - CEO
Pieter Jeroense - Deputy CEO
The VNG has an international cooperation agency, VNG International.
Other companies of the VNG are:
VNG’s international activities
The VNG is an active member of:
- Council of European Municipalities and Regions
- United Cities and Local Governments
- Committee of the Regions
- Congress of local and regional authorities to the Council of Europe
For the period 2019-2022, VNG chair Jan van Zanen is an Executive President of CEMR and co-president of UCLG.